Ready for the adventure of a lifetime?
Smart Ag is a fast paced, exciting place to work. We are looking for new team members that are willing to challenge the status quo and brave enough to face the uncertainties of doing something that has never been done before.
Smart Ag is located in the Startup Factory in Ames Iowa. Ames is home to Iowa State University and is only minutes away from Des Moines.
Opportunity to own equity in the company.
Smart Ag is looking for experienced professionals and will offer an equity offset to salary. This allows you to own a part of the company and competitive salary options to ensure you are getting compensated what you are worth.
Unique start-up culture with unlimited advancement potential.
We may be small now but you can literally architect your career path as we grow.
Health, Dental and Vision
Smart Ag offers the opportunity to participate in the companies group health insurance plan.
Autonomous Vehicle Software Engineer
General Job Description:
Full-time position with opportunity for ownership in the business. The position will be responsible for a myriad of embedded software for autonomous agriculture vehicles.
Background and Nature of Career:
Our desire to empower the farmer begins with our ability to empower our team members. Smart Ag is looking for team members, not employees. Smart Ag is looking for the individual that is willing to make a short term sacrifice to work long hours, make below market wages, take on tasks that aren’t in their job description, in exchange for an opportunity to reach massive levels of future successes both professionally and personally.
In this position you will be responsible for bringing to market the first ever production agriculture autonomous system more specifically you will design, test and code it’s embedded software. You will be responsible for implementing a massive amount of prototype code into good, high quality, testable production code. Every day will be a new challenge and you will be counted on to make this product ship. At Smart Ag no one works alone, our culture demands that every person works closely with each other, regardless of domain. You will have the back of your teammates and work in the best interest of hardware engineers, server side software engineers, database engineers, and C-level management to make the most customer centric system imaginable. In a nutshell, if you don’t like team projects that are focused on real customer needs, don’t bother applying. Every applicant will go through a 90 day evaluation period, if at the end of the 90 days you don’t think Smart Ag is for you or we don’t think you embody our culture we will part ways.
Areas of responsibility will include:
- Building applications using CAN Bus messaging, J1939 CAN experience
- Reverse engineering CAN protocols
- Help design new hardware and integrate it into vehicles and other components.
- Implement mesh networks, telematics and Internet of Things (IoT) into our products
- Build applications using GNSS information
- Co-Develop and integrate controls algorithms into resource constrained embedded devices
- Design and code up machine vision systems
- Implement machine learning techniques into production products
- Act as a mentor for junior team members and interns from time to time
- You are a natural team player, the thought of a life inside an isolated cubicle writing code no one ever uses should make you cringe
- You love Agile, Scrum, XP and TDD.
- You have nasty habit of only writing code in a Test Driven fashion
- You have built continuous build integration systems (or you have a good idea how you would make the one you currently have work right)
- You prefer using Linux on embedded systems, particularly Yocto
- You are known for your ability to develop efficient software from scratch when needed – you pick the language but you understand Python and are able to translate it to C based or Java code system on embedded devices
- You understand computer electronics and embedded systems and could create functioning controllers without assistance.
- You want to architect from a systems level
- You are passionate about IoT and M2M mesh networking
- You think machine vision and obstacle detection systems are cool
- You could hack and reverse engineer electronic controllers.
- From time to time you don’t mind leading team projects
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Nice to Haves
- Experience as a Scrum Master
- In depth understanding and experience with hardware development and server side development
- A perfect candidate would have experience putting a system into production that uses Linux, CANBus, PWM controllers, Sensors, Computer Vision, IoT, Telematics and mesh networking.
- Experience on vehicle electronics preferable agriculture related.
- Basic understanding of agriculture and farming.
- Leadership ability